Farm School at Bell Urban Farm
Farm School Teacher Job Description
Position Title: Farm School Teacher
The Farm School Teacher will be responsible for instructing elementary school students in a nature school curriculum with a focus on outdoor and experiential educational experiences. The teacher will implement a curriculum chosen by the Farm School that covers all subjects such as reading, writing, math, science, and history. The teacher will collaborate with the Nature Play Facilitator to develop innovative teaching techniques and promote experiential learning experiences that will inspire students and foster their passion to learn. The Farm School will be located on the campus of Bell Urban Farm in Conway.
- Teach all core subjects of the selected school curriculum within the framework of a nature-based education while collaborating with the Nature Play Facilitator to integrate outdoor experiences into the classroom instruction.
- Develop lesson plans, assignments, and assessments to reflect an inquiry and experiential-based learning approach that fosters curiosity and inquiry.
- Maintain accurate records of student progress and set individual learning goals for each student, collaborating with students' families, other teachers, and school staff as needed.
-Meet with parents at least twice per year (or more if needed) to discuss student assessments.
- Develop a positive and respectful classroom culture that supports and nurtures student learning and self-respect, incorporating Social & Emotional Learning values.
- Foster a love of learning by inspiring students' curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking skills.
- Foster the student's self-confidence, creativity, and emotional, physical, and social growth by creating environments that are supportive, inclusive, and protective.
- Continuously enhance knowledge in the nature-based curriculum and seek out new opportunities to explore innovative and creative teaching techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in early childhood education or similar education field with current certification.
- Preferred 2-3 years of teaching experience in a traditional classroom or non-traditional nature-based classroom setting.
- Strong pedagogical skills to design and implement lessons, providing formative feedback and evaluating learning outcomes.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn inquiry-based learning techniques, educating within an outdoor setting, and expertise in environmental and ecological principles.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate and deliver multidisciplinary subjects in nature-infused curriculums such as science, math, literature, and art.
- Collaborative team player.
- A passion and excitement to teach young children in an alternative learning environment such as a nature-based farm school.
-Having CPR/first-aid certification is recommended.
Full time teaching position. Monday-Friday (8:00 AM - 3:00 PM). Follows the traditional school calendar (calendar will be based off of Conway Public Schools). Small class size of 10 students aged 6 to 8 years. (kindergarten through 2nd grade age range).
Starting salary of $37,000 per year with room for advancement based on school growth and performance.
Bell Urban Farm: 2001 Tyler Street, Conway, AR 72032
-Small classroom environment
-Unique nature/farm setting provides ample learning opportunities
-Right across the street from local library
-Not a traditional classroom
-Monday to Friday
To be considered for this postion, please answer our pre-interview questions below and upload the appropriate documents!
Pre-interview questions: https://forms.gle/K5NiYPqzuhDz7j8PA
Documents can be uploaded directly to the google form (linked above) or emailed to Kim at email@example.com.
Documents needed for this postion are:
-Resume and cover letter
-Sample lesson plans
-Teaching certification or teaching license
Questions about this position? Please email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org